Emma E. Lampert was born in Nunda, New York, daughter of Mr. Henry Lampert and Jenette Smith. Following graduation from Wells College, Aurora, NY (1875), she studied at the Cooper Union and the Art Students League in New York City. During her lifetime she studied under Agnes Abbatt, the Delecleuse Academy in Paris, William M. Chase and J. S. H. Kever (1891) in Holland.
Charter member of the New York Watercolor Club and the Rochester Art Club, Member: Philadelphia Art Club, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, National Academy, American Water Color Society. Exhibited at the Paris Salon, in 1887 (Hillside at Picardy). Won a medal at the World’s Columbian Exposition, Chicago 1893 (The breadwinner). Was also awarded medals at the Atlanta Exposition 1895; American Art Society in Philadelphia, 1902 (gold medal); Saint Louis Exposition, 1904 (two bronze medals); NY Women’s Art Club , 1907 (prize). She taught art and was a member of the faculty of the Mechanics Institute from 1893 until 1897.
Set up a studio in the Powers block, #817 in the late 1870’s. As a charter member of the Rochester Art Club, she was instrumental in the success of the organization. She was Vice president in 1877-78, and 1885-86, Secretary in 1884-85 and President 1889-92. She used her contacts with artists in New York City to bring paintings from well known artists to the club exhibitions. Emma resigned the club in 1895, after a controversy around the 1894 show, which she organized. The club meeting notes for that year note an expression conveyed to Emma Lampert “that the club did not impugn her honesty of purpose or integrity”. It is not known exactly what happened, but A.W Moore was sent to reconcile her with the club, but she never rejoined. Emma did maintain friendships with some club members throughout her life. In 1886, she closed her studio an traveled to Paris, returning in 1887. She moved to Philadelphia and traveled extensively after her marriage to Colin Campbell Cooper in June of 1897. Her subjects include scenes from her world travels and still life paintings. Emma died in Pittsford, NY on July 30, 1920. She is buried at Mount Hope Cemetery.
George H. Brodhead Fine Arts on East Avenue, Rochester, NY held a retrospective exhibit of her work in January of 1940.
Born in Canoga, Seneca County. Graduated Genesee College at Lima in 1860. After graduation, he started developing his talents, and pursued his art studies at the National Academy of Design. Was a pupil of Eastman Johnson and Emanuel Lentze. Later he studied for the ministry, and was ordained as an Episcopal minister by bishop Arthur Cleveland Coxe in the early 1870s’. His first ministry was at Middleport, was later appointed as the rector of St. James Church in Rochester, a position he held for 25 years. After leaving Rochester, he was in charge of the parish at Tiverton in New England until his death. In 1894, he traveled to England, France, and Switzerland to paint “Cottages and castles of old times”.
A founding member of the Rochester Art Club he was vice president in 1882, President in 1883-84, and 1886 through 1888. He continued his ties with the club and exhibited in local shows after he had left the Rochester area. Known for his selflessness, he at times tried to link club activities with charitable causes. He was called upon more than once to serve as a mediator during disagreements between club members. He is buried at Mount Hope Cemetery.
Born in Verona, N. Y. March 2. Moved to Rochester in 1851. He was admitted to the life class of the Academy of Design in New York City at the age of 17, the youngest member admitted to that date (1863). An oil painter during his earlier years, he devoted himself to watercolors in the latter part of his career. He specialized in portrait paintings for magazines, especially the St. Nicholas, for which he won critical acclaim.
It was in William Lockharts’ studio where the goose grease club had its meetings. He was a charter member of the Rochester Art Club, but did not serve as an officer. He fell ill with consumption many months prior to his death. When the disease worsened, he closed his studio at the Reynolds Arcade and continued working from his house. Physically weak, he is said to have remained strong in spirit. On Wednesday, November 22 he worked on his lithographic designs until 2:00PM, he was seized by shortness of breath, and at 6:00PM he informed his wife he was dying. He expired at 8:00PM. He is buried at Mount Hope Cemetery.
Born in Montreal. Married Estelle Bacon. Engraver of steel and wood, worked in the making of bank notes for the bank of Montreal. Moved to Rochester in the early 1870’s. Taught at the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute. He took on painting, first as a hobby, upon his arrival to the city. He was mostly known as a painter of seascapes and boating scenes of the lower St. Lawrence and Lake Ontario. A close friend of Horatio Walker, he shared a studio with John Z. Wood on the top floor of the Reynolds Arcade.
A participant in the goose grease club and founding member of the Rochester Art Club ,he served as Treasurer in 1884-85, vice president in 1887-89 and President in 1892-94. James was known amongst his fellow artists for his “Bohemian dress”.
Born in England, his family moved to London, Ontario when he was a child. Moved to Rochester in 1857. Initially worked as a decorative painter at Lang’s Children Carriage Factory. He later worked as a Sign painter for Frank Van Doorn, and for the Mensing, Rahn, and Stecher Lithographic Co. He also taught at the Mechanics Institute. During the Civil war he served in the Union Grays co., 54th Regiment, which did guard duty at Elmira Confederate prison camp(1864-65). Left Rochester in 1907 and lived in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Minneapolis, Minnesota, and Los Angeles. He returned to Rochester in 1917.
A founder and active member of the Rochester Art Club, he served as Treasurer (1877- 1882), as Vice President (1889-1891) and President in 1894. Was one of the members of the goose grease club, and a participant in the informal gatherings of artists at William Lockhart’s studio in the Palmer building during the mid 1860’s. In the 1870’s he opened a studio at the Baker building with him. He later shared a studio with Seth C. Jones. An outdoors painter, he painted mostly watercolors, oils later in his career, and also became recognized as a scenic painter for the Masonic Temple and other theaters in the city.
John Wood was known for his sense of humor, ability at mimicry, and telling a good story. He died as a result of injuries from being hit by a truck on South Clinton Avenue on November 5, 1919. He is buried at Mount Hope Cemetery.